Thursday, April 10, 2008

Madame Pele's Place...

Here's a picture of my brother Stan in front of Kilauea's Halemaumau Crater on his visit to the island in August of 2004. The two of us saw as many of the sights as possible in one day and the volcano was the last stop. We didn't have time to go down to see the lava flow, but it was a beautiful day and we had a great time.

Legend says that Halemaumau is the home of Madame Pele, the goddess of fire. Unless she is plied with steady offerings of flowers, food, and liquor (she seems to like gin), Pele can pitch quite a fit.

Well... Madame Pele is a "What Have You Done For Me Lately?" kiind of lady. And I am in no way criticizing her. Don't want to make her any more angry than she is already. Stan and I wouldn't be able to visit now... this picture from the Hawaii Volcano Observatory website was taken a few yards back from where I took my brother's picture.

No comments: